Please visit Our Sponsors

If you have never posted before on the board your first post will not show until approved by an admin and you will be changed to a Posting Member so you can post without prior approval. This is done to control the spammers that try to spam forums.

Photo

Stuck Cylinder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 squeakyzig

squeakyzig

• Posting Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 01 2004 - 01:59 PM

We have a '47 B that was given and delivered to us. The tractor is complete and was supposedly running about 1 1/2 years ago. The back cylinder (closest to the gas tank) has some rust on the walls. We just can't seem to free up the motor. We've poured diesel, brake fluid, liquid wrench and just about anything else we could find in there. We've tapped it with a mallet, tried to jack it up from the botton, cribbed the wheels and tried to rock it. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? blink.gif

#2 chickenman

chickenman

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 10:52 PM

have you tried the 2X2 in the cyl.? put a peace of 2X2 in the cyl. and hit it with a 3# hammer. the viberation on the top of the piston will loosen the rings, then i would clean the cyl. with a glaze knocker. that way the rust is out of the way when you move the piston theirs nothing to stop the piston from moving....... jesse

#3 squeakyzig

squeakyzig

• Posting Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried a 2x4 pushing up from underneath with a hydro. jack, but that only raised the tractor up.

We've also cribbed up the back wheels and put it into gear and tried rocking the wheels. Our property is mostly sand, so the sand gave way under the cribbing before we got any movement from the cylinders. Therefore, we had to lower it back down to rest on it's wheels again.

Two of the cylinders allow liquid to pass through them. the third cylinder will allow a slow seepage through but the forth one holds any fluids we pour in.

#4 Blackriver

Blackriver

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 04:11 AM

I have started work on an old B that was my granpfather's. I say, "strted work" but I haven't really gotten very far other than trying to pull it out of the holes it sunk into. I do know the engine is siezed though, i haven't pulled the head yet, just put in some PBlaster and marvel oil about a week ago. Looks like I'm headed for the same issues you are having.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users