Please visit Our Sponsors

If you have never posted before on the board your first post will not show until approved by an admin and you will be changed to a Posting Member so you can post without prior approval. This is done to control the spammers that try to spam forums.

Photo

Restoring For Use, Need Info

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MrSteele

MrSteele

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am restoring for use, my Dad's Farmall A. It looks to be a 46 model, and I remember using it for years while I was growing up. I'm 57, and the A was a good garden tractor then, will save me a lot of time, now.
My question. Can anyone point me to a set of bolt torque specs for the rods, mains, head bolts and the like. Also, if anyone knows the crankshaft journal sizes, so I can see if I am in the market for a shaft turning and undersized bearings.
From what I can tell, many rebuild kits include parts made in China, so I intends to purchase from a local Mom and Pop shop that will order the brands of parts I want..gaskets, bearings, rings, and so on, or, the parts that will keep me from tearing it down again, soon.
If the tractor were going to be a trailer queen, I wouldn't care so much, as the occasional parade and loading the tractor will not work it like the breaking plow, and several hours of cultivating. I do not intend to rebuild it again, just pass it to my grandson, if he wants it, or sell it in another 20 years or so when I am tired of making a big garden.

#2 oak hill farmall family

oak hill farmall family

Advanced Member

• Posting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:25 AM

the best thing you can do is invest in a good service manual. you can get these on e-bay or amazon
I buy a manual for every piece of equipment I get, they just make life a lot easier . all the specs will be in the manual
have fun with that super A , and it being your fathers is just that much sweeter , ( memories )
we will need pics as you go. you don't have to but we all love to see pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users