Please visit Our Sponsors

If you have never posted before on the board your first post will not show until approved by an admin and you will be changed to a Posting Member so you can post without prior approval. This is done to control the spammers that try to spam forums.

Photo

1942 H Trans Noise

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rhernest

Rhernest

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 28 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi, I've got a 1942 H. I drove about 5 miles and noticed the trans making a little noise in 5th gear. I drained the trans and got some thick stuff out. I put a little gas in it and drove it a little, drained it and put in new 80w145 trans oil. Then the trans seal for belly pump S started to leak pretty bad while sitting. I had to drain the trans down to get at the seal to change it, and the new oil had a light sheen on top that looked like brass. I plan to drain the trans again, put 5 gal of kerosene, drive around a little, drain and put new 80w140 again. I'm i on the right track here. Thanks a lot, Ross

#2 Vern

Vern

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 12 2014 - 09:31 AM

Probably not. I have owned my H for several years now, I use the tractor rather than show it. Typically I rack hay with it, and spray my produce fields. So it runs a lot. The trans has always made noise. no grinding, just loud gear noise. I flushed it with ATF, and refilled with 90 weight (recommended), then ended up replacing every seal on it. flushing usually destroys seals. So really, it depends on the noise you are getting, gears moan when they get loose, and after 70 plus years they can get a wear on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users