Please visit Our Sponsors

If you have never posted before on the board your first post will not show until approved by an admin and you will be changed to a Posting Member so you can post without prior approval. This is done to control the spammers that try to spam forums.

Photo

Farmall H

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shepherd_Bill

Shepherd_Bill

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 03:49 PM

I just purchased a 1948 H and am starting to work on it. Is there anyone else on this board with an H?

I grew up around Farmalls but hadn't owned one until now.

#2 Pickupman45

Pickupman45

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 12:46 AM

I just purchased a would be restored H that needs a lot of work to make it look good. I love driving it and am amazed at the simplicity of it. So far I have rounded up a grill, hood, generator and muffler. The fun begins now with preparing and painting it. Hope you enjoy yours.

#3 Shepherd_Bill

Shepherd_Bill

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 08:21 AM

I'm in the early stages as well. Need to get some basic parts & get it back together. Keep me posted on how you are coming with your restoration.

#4 Bigdog

Bigdog

• Posting Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted November 24 2004 - 09:04 PM

I also have a 48 H which is a great runner but needs a lot of cosmetic work done on it as well as some minor mechanicals. Looks like a fun project.

#5 Pickupman45

Pickupman45

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 25 2004 - 12:04 AM

An Update on my H. As of the Eve of Thanksgiving, I have rounded up a straighter hood, aquired a better grille and have sandblasted it, sanded off the gas tank and all three are at a local body shop for some final preparation before a professional paint job. I have some cleaning to do on the engine and some bushing to do on the steering before it's ready for it's new look. Also have found a working generator and need to clean it up too. Does anyone know if the origional generators were red or the usuall black? I think mine is going to be black. Thanks for reading this and would love to read of your progress restoring your tractors. Floyd

#6 Bigdog

Bigdog

• Posting Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted November 26 2004 - 10:39 AM

From the IH factory, the generators were red. (everything they could reach with a paint gun was red). From the supplier, they likely would have been black. It's your tractor so you can paint it any way you want to. (please don't paint it green though) laugh.gif

#7 Pickupman45

Pickupman45

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted November 26 2004 - 05:33 PM

cool.gif Thanks for the information BigDog! That's just what I wanted to know. Red it will be but out of a spray can I'm afraid. I'm also restoring a JD 40 so I pray I don't get the parts mixed up....lol. biggrin.gif

#8 blaze

blaze

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 09:24 PM

I am going to have to rebuild, and paint my grandpals H soon. My dad thinks it's not worth it, He is a John Deer person. The engine needs new rings and the hydrolic system needs work. The sheet meatal and frame needs sand blasted but it is sill fun to drive around.

#9 Bigdog

Bigdog

• Posting Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 10:15 AM

H's are very common. Parts are reasonable and readily available. Although the value of even a restored H is not that high, they are great tractors and as you say, a lot of fun. Enjoy yours.

#10 BIGJOE

BIGJOE

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 11 2005 - 11:00 AM

I have always loved old tractors, the first on I purchsed was a 9n. i loved it and still own it. At an auction I bought a Farmall H, when I drive that I feel like it was ment for me, Being up high, the way it drives and just the way it feels. I love my H, Im starting to restore it now. I will keep you up to date.

#11 Ole Red

Ole Red

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 24 2009 - 12:07 AM

hi everyone just found the site... cant wait to talk to other farmall guys... i bought a 48 h about a year ago and its been in my dads shop since.. it needed rebuilt and a little paint but it will be a strong runner when im done

#12 CVA59

CVA59

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 10 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 1943 H this past weekend. As you can see, I have a long road ahead of me but it does run and has alot of potential. I am still needing a good grill, manifold and one front rim. I will be posting pics about my progress along the way. Winter is near so that should give me alot of free time to work on this project. This is my first ever tractor and first attempt at a tractor restoration. My son really likes the tractor as i am sure you can see, LOL.
Zack

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
www.forrestalmemorial.com

#13 Joe Dowling

Joe Dowling

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 16 2009 - 07:33 PM

I have found many parts for my '52 H on ebay. New steering wheel, manifold, rear light, etc. Yesteryear tractors at ytmag.com has lots of parts available. Good luck! I've attached a photo of my H that my Grandfater bought new in 1952.[attachment=7:H.jpg]

#14 CVA59

CVA59

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted November 17 2009 - 08:04 PM

Joe, I have been looking around on EBAY for a few items i am needing. It amazes me how much this stuff cost. I have spent all my life restoring classic cars. Looking for a change, I thought tractors would be a bit easier on the wallet but i am finding out that is not true. Rear tires for my H are $400-500 a tire, Geeezzzz. To me that is crazy.
www.forrestalmemorial.com

#15 Ole Red

Ole Red

• Posting Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted December 15 2009 - 08:20 PM

I bought rear tires a little over a year ago for my 48 H and i paid 800 for both. im about ready to bolt my head back on as soon as i get it back from the machine shop.. that just cost me about $600.. whats sad is that i priced the same job 6 months ago and it was only a little over 300 bucks and in just that short time the price of parts doubled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users